"Deutsche Evangelische Gemeinde zu Buenos Aires"
The Organ and the Church History
E. F. Walcker & Co., Op. 1615, year 1911

The Organ

This instrument was built in 1911. Originally pneumatic tubular system. The console was also located in the center of the organ loft and included an automatic "organola" or perforated roll player machine. The left side of the organ (view from altar) houses the Great and Pedal pipes. The right side body houses the swell division pipes and more Pedal pipes.

After 80 years of use without restoration (only the "organola" was disconected), the organ was transformed to electropneumatic action by the technicians Juan Weinhold and Carlos Amadini.
The console has been readapted to the new system and also moved to the side where the Swell division is located.



Picture included in an old brochure from the Walcker House with the original console placed in the center of the instrument.
The original system was pneumatic tubular.


The Church

The first german evangelical pastor that arrived to the "Río de la Plata" region in August 1843 was August Ludwig Siegel. In October 18th that same year the Evangelical Congregation was created.

In the meanwhile, all the religious evangelical services were held by the Scotish Presbiterian Episcopal Church which kindly helped the german people who still had no place for worship.

Soon after a very important activity was started in order to raise the necessary sume of money to build the new building.
This was a big effort which included donations, collects, sold ticket recitals and diplomatical activities. A big amount of money was collected and to avoid loose of it due to ecconomical inflation a portion of land was purchased on Esmeralda Street (Downtown Buenos Aires).

During those years Juan Manuel de Rosas was the Supreme Ruler of Argentina. It was absolutely forbidden to build a non catholic temple without his permission. After several attempts made by Pastor Siegel the goal was reached.

On 18th October 1851 with a big attendance, goverment authorities, presence of Methodist, Anglican and Presbiterian members the cornerstone of the building was placed among important documents, newspapers and commemorative coins.

After 16 months the inaugural day arrived on February 11th 1853. Covered by the organ sounds the church commitee presided by Pastor Siegel and followed by children holding the Cross entered the Temple. A solemn blessing followed afterwards among flowers an flags.

This is an extract from: "Tu Lampara", a Parish bulletin. This article appeared on occasion of the 150 years of the Church inauguration.





Please click here to return to the English Menu

Please click here to return to this Organ Menu





http://www.galeon.com/organos-argentina
Authors: Rafael Ferreyra & David Merello
Send your Mails to ** rafaelinusa@hotmail.com ** davidmerello@arnet.com.ar
Last update: September 29th, 2005