"Santa Felicitas Church"
The church and organ history
E. F. Walcker & Cia, 1873

The Organ

This organ and its "bigger brother" placed in the Metropolitan Cathedral, are the only mechanical instruments from Walcker installed in Buenos Aires. Since it has only 14 stops, the cone valves system in the wind chests, gives the organ a very ligth action.

Some years ago the organ received some damage during (ironicaly) restauration work inside the building and lack of general security. Fortunately this damage has been repaired and we can say that today the instrument is in very well condition again.



The Building

This church has a very interesting an tragic story behind its construction. Architectural design was carried by Ernesto Bunge on the basis of a request from a wealthy family, the Guerrero's , in order to have a church in memory of their beloved daughter Felicitas who was murdered in 1872. The building was inaugurated in 1876 without too much publicity.

Felicitas was married at the age sixteen with Martin Alzaga, a rich man quite far older than her. Six years after that wedding she became a widow. Soon after this, several aristocratic and rich men made attempts to marry her. Among them was Enrique Ocampo, also a member of the Buenos Aires's aristocracy.

Finally, Felicitas decided to be married with Samuel Saenz, a rich farmer. This decission turn Ocampo completely upset and finally mad for having being took apart from the young lady's life.... History tells that on January 29th 1872 when Felicitas returned home after a short trip she founded Mr. Ocampo at her livingroom. After a confuse situation he murdered her with a gun.

The church displays a beautiful germanic gothic style with only one nave, tryforium and dome. Inside this building we can found exquisitely elaborated decorative details . Of special artistic interest are the three altars, paintings, plasters, marbles and many amazing french "vitraux". At present times the temple is still being restored by the Goverment of the City of Buenos Aires. They have published the following pictures taken from the restoration work (vitraux and organ shown here):